aston logo
clubmark

PRESIDENTS

1922 - 1954 Sir Kenneth
  Crossley
1958 T N W Windsor
1966 - 1967 J W Eyre
1968 - 1975 Raymond Hopkins
1976 - 1978 P E I Ainsworth
1979 - 1981 David Wright
1982 - 2001 Cyril Chesters
2002 - Les Wright

CHAIRMAN

1951 - 1966 Raymond Hopkins
1967 - 1981 Cyril Chesters
1982 - 1984 George Bolam
1985 - 1987 Peter Bebbington
1988 - 1992 Bryan Coghlan
1993 - 2003 Brian Horrocks
2004 - 2005 Ron Bedson
2006 - Pat Beesley

HON. SECRETARIES

1927 - 1939 William Wright
1951 - 1967 W F Welch
1968 - 1969 Peter Evans
1970 - 1978 Les Wright
1979 - 1984 Peter Bebbington
1985 - 2002 Peter Jones
2003 Damian Hyland
2004 Simon Wright
2005 Damian Hyland
2006 Hazel Richardson
2007 Kerry Elson

HON. TREASURERS

1927 - 1939 B Rothwell
1951 - 1969 G H Wright
1970 - 1993 Fred Wright
1994 - 2001 Malcom Scott
2002 - 2004 Nick Hartshorn
2005 Graham Potts

1st XI Captains

1966-67 L Wright
1968-73 P Bebbington
1974-77 P Jones
1978-81 L Wright
1982-83 RJ Davies
1984-85 S Grimley
1986-88 T Johnston
1989 A Brown
1990-95 P Beesley
1996-97 N Goodwin
1998-99 P Little
2000-02 W Dawson
2003-04 D Wright
2005-06 C Beesley
2007 G Richardson
2008- D Wright

2nd XI Captains

1977-78 P Bebbington
1979 A White
1980-88 P Bebbington
1989-91 RJ Davies
1992-93 E Vernon
1994 P Bebbington
1995-96 G Ruscoe
1997-99 N Hartshorn
2000-02 D Hyland
2003 B Edisbury
2004-06 D Hyland
2007 N Cammish
2008 D Hyland
2009-11 B Edisbury
2012 A.Taylor

 Aston & District Cricket Club was formed soon after World War 1 from an amalgam of three local teams – Combermere, Broomhall & Wrenbury who had played in their own villages from the late 1800s until the outbreak of the War. Unfortunately no club records exist for the original teams therefore any information provided are from newspaper reports and local family archives and memories. In a local newspaper of 1869 it was noted that the Hon. R. S. Cotton, of Combermere Abbey, played cricket for Whitchurch.

The earliest record of a local team is a photograph of the Combermere Cricket Club in 1894 whose players were captain Tom Young (farmer, Hollin Lane), his brothers Ernest (farmer, Sheppenhall Lane) and Edgar (veterinary surgeon), Robert Manley (auctioneer), J J Slater (Wrenbury Mill), Jim Smith (local), William James George (landlord of the Bhurtpore Inn), Tom Hall (farmer, Baddington), Joseph Wheeler (wheelwright, Broomhall), William Howell (Newhall), Alfred Jones ( rent collector, Oak Cottage, Wrenbury), the umpire was Samuel Edgeley (shoemaker, \ivy \cottage, Aston) and the scorer was Joe Borton from West End Cottage, Aston). William James George’s father and grandfather kept the Bhurtpore Inn from 1849-1901. Simon George, the current landlord is the great grandson of William James George.
The Combermere photograph is on display at the Bhurtpore and in the Aston Cricket Club pavilion.

A fixture card for 1895 shows fixtures against Wistaston, Ash, Cholmondeley, Audlem, etc., and that 14 matches were played of which 9 were won, 2 drawn, 2 lost and one tied. The President of the Club was the Right Hon. Viscount Combermere, the Vice President was Squire Arthur Starkey of Wrenbury Hall and patrons included Henry Tollemache, M.P., A N Hornby and Dr Thomson the Wrenbury doctor.

The only record of Broomhall Cricket Club is a photograph taken in 1908 which contains several players who were on the Combermere photograph. Broomhall played in a field at Oak Farm, opposite Broomall School (later changed to Sound School) and later in a field opposite Pritch Farm. Former Aston President, Cyril Chesters, recalls being told that both his father and his uncle playing against A.N.Hornby, the former Lancashire and England captain.
Wrenbury Cricket Club played on a pitch in Wrenbury Hall Park where there were also tennis courts. The large fishing pit in the centre of the Park retains the name – tennis pit.

Peter Bebbington recalls family stories of his grandfather, William Garnett playing for Wrenbury before turning out for Nantwich in the late nineteenth century. Aston played at Aston Four-lane-ends (until 1953) where the Club fielded two teams, both playing league cricket against Sandbach, Middlewich, Wem, Haslington, Tattenhall, Cholmondeley, Tilstone Lodge and many others. It is interesting to note that most teams would have travelled to Aston by train because the fixture cards stated ‘nearest railway station – Wrenbury.. William Wright of Royals Wood was the first recorded Club Secretary, he served from 1927-1939. Sr Kenneth Crossley, Combermere Abbey was Club President from 1922/1954.

In 1937 the Rev.E.P.Comber, vicar of Wrenbury (who played for Aston), presented a silver cup to the Club to celebrate the Coronation of King George V1. The Cup was to be played for by local teams in an evening invitation Knock Out Competition which is still being run in 2009 for non regular players. In fact the local competition has been part of village life for well over 70 years. In 2001, to coincide with a re-union of players, a book was published on memories of the Local Cricket Knock Out. Extracts from that book will feature on this site in the future.

Knock Out matches were played together with a few friendly evening fixtures. An Aston team was entered in the Whitchurch KO for many years and was successful in 1955 against Prees under the captaincy of Mick Young (the team included the local born Crewe Alex and Stoke Citry footballer Johnny King who scored 83 not out to ensure victory by 14 runs in a two innings final) In 1963 the Aston team, captained by Les Wright lost out in the Final to Prees but gained revenge when they beat the same team in 1972. Another success was in the winning of the Market Drayton KO in 1966.

In 1953 the club purchased a field in Sheppenhall Lane from Rupert Lea for £500. Local farmer, Raymond Sheen of Woodcott Hill Farm, a lifelong supporter of the Club, provided a loan to be repaid whenever funds allowed. The rate of interest was 2.5% but it was about 15 years before any capital was repaid. It is interesting to note that it is understood that this field was the one which Combermere played on in the 1890s. Although it is again understood that there was a cricket pitch in grounds of the Combermere Abbey estate. The old black and white wooden cricket pavilion was moved from ‘four’lane’ends’ and erected at the new ground in Sheppenhall Lane but there was no running water or electricity. Water was carried in a milk churn from the Old Workhouses and was heated in an old gas boiler to make tea.

In 1967 regular Saturday friendly fixtures were resumed, continuing until 1974 when the Club joined the Cheshire Club Conference, the most successful season being 1976, finishing in third place.

In the early 1970s the Club built a new pavilion which was a major project for a small Club but financial reserves had been accumulated by an annual draw for a mini car (this is the same styled current draw called the 222 Club). The pavilion was virtually built by Club volunteers led by Cyril Chesters, Fred Wright, Ken Thornton & Alan White.

The Club joined the South Cricket Cricket Alliance in 1977 and played two teams for 21 years before the Alliance was disbanded. This enabled to Club to participate in the ‘County League Structure’. During the Alliance years the Club won the league in 1985 and 1987 and were runners up on three occasions, the Reg Boote Trophy was won in 1985 and were loosing finalists in 1982 and 1994. The 2nd X1 never managed to win the 2nd Division but were runners up on six occasions, they won the Densem Shield in 1984, being loosing finalists in 1989 and 1993. In 1998 the Club joined the Cheshire Cricket Alliance, the 2nd XI being runners up in 1999 & 2005.

2008 was a very successful season for the Club. Under the captaincy of Derek Wright, the Club were runners up to Sandbach and thereby gained promotion to the Mellor Braggins League, the highest level at which the Club will have played. The 2nd X1, under the captaincy of Damian Hyland, won Division 4 of the Cheshire Alliance.

The club are looking forward to building on this success in 2009. We will be fielding First and Second XIs, along with Under 11, Under 13 and Under 15 teams. The strength of the junior section bodes well for the future of the club as our younger players progress into the senior teams. I'm sure the Hon. R.S.Cotton from 1869 would approve!

We look forward to welcoming you at our club very soon!

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player